Sunday, August 17, 2014

According to a four year old...CHANGE STINKS!

My kids have been pretty lucky. They have never had to go to daycare. Never had to be away from me for 40+ hours a week. Don't get me wrong, I haven't been blessed (<---??) with being a stay-at-home mom, BUT I have gotten to work part-time and/or go to school for as long as they can really remember. And my husband and I have either worked opposite shifts or relied on grandparents as babysitters. 

They really have had it good. 

For the last year I have worked two days a week. On those days, Brennan either stays home with dad or her big brother OR she goes to her grandma's for the day (where she is spoiled with tons and tons of DumDum suckers and 7Up until I am SURE her teeth are going to rot right out of her head!) And she has (finally) gotten used to that arrangement. 

But, as life often does, things have changed recently. 

I picked up an extra day of work. ONE EXTRA DAY. And you would think that the world. was. ending. Brennan can NOT seem to cope with being away from me for one more day. (I am not sure if I should be flattered about that or not...) But ANYWAY...this all leads up to this wonderfully EMBARRASSING moment from yesterday...

Yesterday, we went to a family reunion. The big kind. Where your parents and their cousins and their cousin's kids, and their kid's kids, and your long, lost Aunt Sally ALL come together in a grand chaotic eating and visiting frenzy. THAT kind of reunion. Where you MAYBE know 10 of the 50+ people who are there, but you know you are all related SOMEHOW, so it's all good. And you let the kiddos run free (and cause all kinds of trouble with their new-found cousins/friends) and you sit and visit with the few people you DO recognize and pretty much FORGET you even BROUGHT your kids with you. 

Or at least that was what I was doing!

Until it was time to go. And then I went hunting for the kids. Roundin' 'em up, so to speak. And when I found Brennan, I found something else too! 

My daughter is a blabber mouth. And I don't necessarily mean the "good" kind! 

There she was, telling a distant I-don't-know-you cousin ALL about her horribly rotten parents. She was going on and on about how HER parents NEVER have ANY time for her. We just work NON-STOP. And we are gone ALL DAY and she is stuck at home with her big brother and her sisters and she doesn't like it. At. All! The way she was carrying on, you would have SWORN that I work 50-60 hours per week! 

Of course, I felt the need to clarify my position. I work THREE days a week. And I am home well before dinner. Every. Night. And I tuck her into bed. Every. Night. But that extra day....is just too much. THREE days, not five, or six, or seven...THREE.

And obviously Brennan is NOT okay with that.

Change stinks.

I wonder how on Earth she is going to cope with starting 1/2 day preschool in the fall??!


Did you enjoy this post?
 Clickety-click here to vote for my blog!
Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory
You can vote 1 time every 24 hours from all devices!


Follow me on Facebook
A Day in the Life of a Drama Queen's Momma

Follow me on Twitter
 @Momma_Dramas 

Loved it? Let me know! Leave me a comment! 


Check out More Than Cheese and Beer
for more great #SundayConfessions
MoreThanCheeseandBeer

10 comments:

  1. You gotta love kid's skewered, melodramatic view of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can always be suprised at what.comes out of little ones mouths!

    Haha, you'll definitely have to share when she starts preschool :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh for SURE! She is gonna be a treat for her teachers, that's for sure!

      Delete
  3. If you replace "daughter" with "husband," you'd have my life! Hopefully she doesn't share her complaints with her teacher. That would make for an awkward discussion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lordy!! I sure hope not! I am so worried about her starting schoolm for THAT reason! lol

      Delete
  4. My husband works a swing shift and until April I worked 4 days sometimes five days a week from 9-5. The little ones felt it.. they still feel the husband's shifts and they hate it! When I decided to stay home and then went back to work for a Easter work, they hated it, even if it was just me walking them to and from school or hanging out with them during the day.. they just don't want both their parents gone at the same time. when I am feeling really insane I mention going back to work, they cry! They ask me why and they behave better the rest of the day! I use i!! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, sometimes you have to use whatever ammo you can find! LOL

      Delete
  5. Ah my daughter is the same way. She's 7 and extremely detail-oriented. She has to have a plan for everything and if things don't fit into her plan, the world ends. It's funny sometimes, and frustrating others. Maybe they'll grow out of it one day? lol

    Thank you for linking up with the SHINE Blog Hop this past week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! My daughter is DEFINITELY a "keep it all EXACTLY the same" kind of girl! A creature of habit. Sometimes it is very nice, other times...not so much! LOL

      Delete