Monday, June 2, 2014

A Bedtime Tale

For YEARS I have been reading "Green Eggs and Ham", by Dr. Seuss, to the kids at bedtime. I have read it so many times that I consider myself quite the expert story teller....voices and excitement and lots of fun. The kids have always LOVED it. Night after night, begging for the same story. And I delighted in reading it, perfecting it with each telling. I practically know the whole story by heart!

Then tonight happened.

My four year old daughter, Brennan, picked it for her bedtime story for the first time. My excitement was real. FINALLY! I would get to read this great story to my baby! I have asked her time and again to pick it, and she has always refused, favoring fairy tales and Disney princess stories and other such nonsense.. But tonight...TONIGHT will be the night!
I start out with excitement, in my perfected storytelling voice-
I am Sam
Sam I am
That Sam I am...

"Why does he have angry eyes?"

Cuz he thinks Sam is annoying
That Sam I am
I do not like that Sam I am
Do you like green eggs and ham?
I do not like them, Sam I am. 
I do not like green eggs and ham.
Would you like them here or there?
I would not like them here or there. I would...

"Why doesn't he just offer him something he DOES like?"

not like them anywhere. I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them, Sam I am.

"WHY DOES THIS STORY KEEP REPEATING ITSELF???!"

(Exasperated) Cuz that is how it is written!

"Well that's dumb. Just give the guy what he wants already! Can we read 'Tangled' instead mommy?"
Psssssshhhhhhhhhhh. That is the sound of my "Green Eggs and Ham" dreams being crushed. The puck stops here.

And so, I put my treasured childhood favorite back on the shelf, pull out the well-worn Disney princess book...

And read "Tangled" for the five millionth time.

This blog post has sections from the childhood classic "Green Eggs and Ham" by Dr. Seuss. No copyright infringements intended.


Did you enjoy this post?
 Clickety-click here to vote for my blog!
Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory
You can vote 1 time every 24 hours from all devices!


Follow me on Facebook
A Day in the Life of a Drama Queen's Momma

Follow me on Twitter
 @Momma_Dramas 

Loved it? Let me know! Leave me a comment! 

Want more Brennan stories?
A Day in the Life of a Drama Queen’s Momma

11 comments:

  1. My children all had a different favorite at bedtime, that I always felt would end up turning me insane. My five year old.. it was The Pokey Little Puppy. At least the older two would let me switch it up from time to time, but no, here I was, every night, reading The Pokey Little Puppy, till I didn't even need the book anymore to tell him the story. Now, his brothers and him don't want me to read bedtime stories to them. So I find myself longing to read the Pokey Little Puppy to the baby. Unfortunately for me, my favorite childhood story was The Secret Garden, my mother read it all the time. The boys are having none of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED "The Secret Garden" too! And "The Little Princess". Read them over and over! I tried to read some of my favorite chapter books with my older girls, but they never really got into them. The chapter book that was popular around here was "Charlotte's Web" which I also love reading! Maybe Brennan will redeem herself by liking that.... ;)

      Delete
  2. Charlotte's Web all the way!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE THAT BOOK! We haven't tried that one yet.... Maybe if I do the "voices"??!

      Delete
  3. I love Charlotte's Web! My son just read it in school and I was so excited.. he was excited because after they are done they are going to see the play. :-) my older son started reading The chronicles of Narnia, I was so proud. My favorite of all time book is Magic Elizabeth, it is out print and my Granny got it for my mother when she worked in a book factory before I was a thought! I love that book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no!! This is too funny and I can totally relate! My kids have crapped on my classics in the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG this is hilarious! Brings back memories of reading books to my kids---and getting frustrated when they wouldn't still for the ones I cherished the most!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Dr.Seuss.......but on ft h ree bri h the side at least they still enjoy reading with you :) my 4 year old is really into the Mia books (barnest & noble I can read books) and my 2 year old loves the Rainbow Fish :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ***That was meant to say but on the other hand**

    ReplyDelete
  8. Y U NO like green eggs and ham... Peeing myself here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HA HA HA! I love this! Ids foil our best laid plans don't they?!

    Awesome stuff.

    Wishing you a lovely evening (and thanks for linking up to the #SHINEbloghop).
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete